OMNIVERS is a flexible container in which Red Eye will support the process of BIPOC artists or collectives working in live performance, taking a shape determined by those artists or collectives.
ALSO: Free Association: OMNIVERS / OMNIVORE / CARNIVORE / OMNIBUS / OMNISCIENCE MERRIAM-WEBSTER: a universe that is spatiotemporally four-dimensional. MARVEL COMICS: The Omniverse is the collection of every single universe, multiverse, megaverse, dimension (alternate or pocket) and realm. ALL DIMENSIONS WIKI: The Omniverse is a container that contains everything that exists, making it transfinitely large. If we take the jump from our Universe to the Multiverse, and repeat it infinitely, we get the Omniverse (or rather, an approximate equivalent, but not the same). However, many civilizations have created their own superstructures that hold thousands of verses of equal size revolving around a central one, or more. The Omniverse contains everything that exists, but the Omniverse itself doesn’t exist. OMNI – OXFORD: combining form WIKIPEDIA / VIRTUAL OBJECT / HOTEL GROUP. VERSE: writing arranged with a metrical rhythm, typically having a rhyme / a group of lines that form a unit in a poem or song; a stanza / each of the short numbered divisions of a chapter in the Bible or other scripture / (queer) slang word for sexual versatility. #inter #non #omni #trans #anti #multi #fluid #other #ultra
- This program is open to Minnesota-based, BIPOC artists or creative collectives who create from / within / across / through multiple mediums, genres and disciplines. This is broad, expansive, and self-defined. This is an opportunity for artists who cultivate live performance as part of their creative practice.
- This is a modest offering over a period of two years.
- Over the program period, July 2021-June 2023, two artists or collectives will each be offered:
- 40 total hours of process-oriented space at Red Eye Theater (20 hours per year)
- A total of $2000 (disbursed $1000 per year)
- 15 hours of administrative support and 15 hours of artistic support from Red Eye’s Co-Artistic Directors, over the two-year period. This may include dramaturgical or “outside eye” support, technical support, consultation on marketing, fundraising, producing, etc.
- Goals, outcomes, or intentions will be led by / formed by the participating artists. Red Eye will support an agreed-upon structure that the chosen artists propose for this time.
- Red Eye will leverage its position as a small nonprofit organization to create partnerships that will gather additional resources for the OMNIVERS artists, such as access to tools and equipment, skill sharing, space partnerships, relationship building, etc. This will be driven by the needs and interests of the OMNIVERS artists and the available resources of Red Eye Theater.
- In its first iteration, the program will be administered primarily by Valerie Oliveiro and Emily Gastineau, though the artists can expect to exchange with all seven Co-Artistic Directors.
- As an organization, we continue to prioritize the safety of our artists and audiences amidst COVID-19. All programs and meetings will be taking place online at least through the end of June 2021.
ABOUT RED EYE THEATER
- Red Eye Theater is a working seven-artist collective. These seven artists share all the work involved in the running of a small not-for-profit organization. Sometimes this is work we do or have done in our other lives, and sometimes it is not. We think we work in, or build towards, a horizontal structure, but we also know that the many layers of systemic oppression create unending complexity. We like consensus, but that could also look like agreeing to allow just one of us to make all the decisions around a given project. Most of all, we want our beloved Minnesota arts ecology to THRIVE and we want to be kind, nimble, and thoughtful.
- Red Eye has, in its history, used the following language to describe the kind of performance work we support: experimental, risk-taking, contemporary, new, pioneering, boundary-breaking, collaborative, interdisciplinary. We have been unpacking the colonial, modernist, exclusionary implications of those words, and have not yet arrived at a term that fits. Perhaps we will never arrive. We understand that, through relationship with Red Eye, the OMNIVERS artist will intersect with this history and conversation.
- Our website is another iteration of us: www.redeyetheater.org.
Valerie Oliveiro (flexible pronouns), Red Eye Co-Artistic Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Emily Gastineau (she/her/hers), Red Eye Co-Artistic Director, email@example.com
Reach all seven Co-Artistic Directors at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612.870.7531.