The application for the 2022 United States and Canada competition is now available. All applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. or Canada at the time of application. The application deadline is Friday, September 17, 2021. Follow this link to access the application. Note that we have a new account-based application system. All applicants, including those who have applied in the past, must first create a new account at the above link.
- Persons who have already received a Guggenheim Fellowship are not eligible to apply for another.
- Guggenheim Fellowships are not available for the creation of residencies, curriculum development, or any type of educational program, nor are they available to support the development of websites or blogs.
- Our awards are intended for individuals only; they are not available to organizations, institutions, or groups.
- Guggenheim Fellowships are not open to students (undergraduate, graduate, or postgraduate).
- We regret that our awards are not available to support the writing of literature for children or young readers, or support any other type of work (e.g., films, plays, etc.) intended for young audiences.
- Anthology, oral history, e-book, or textbook projects are not supported by our awards.
- Published writing not regarded as appropriate for our competition includes self-published works, publications for which the author has paid, and publications by publishers who do not engage in a process of critical review of submitted work. In addition, genre work (e.g., mysteries, romance, fantasy, etc.) is not within our scope.
- For all writers, if you have mainly published in periodicals, or on websites, it might be premature for you to apply here at this stage of your career, given the rigorous nature of our competition.