In order to develop an art practice — an ongoing process of production based on conceptual and formal investigation — artists need time, stimulating input, access to technical skills, conversations with peers, and exchange with audiences. To facilitate these evolving processes, Mophradat is introducing this revised version of what was the Grants for Artists program to include two components: first, providing artists with flexible financial support that can be used towards their livelihood, and/or for ongoing research, and/or the realization of a particular proposal. Second, connecting the participating artists with their peers (of the selection committee) with whom they will engage in a structured dialogue over three sessions throughout the grant period.
For this pilot edition, the program will provide approximately ten grants of either US$2500 or US$5000 covering periods of research, residencies, production of new work, curating and presenting shows, amongst other forms of artistic work. The program is only open to those interested in ongoing conversation with the professional peers Mophradat is engaging for this purpose.
SPECIFIC ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- In addition to complying with the general eligibility criteria that you can read here, please note the following:
- Artists must be able to demonstrate their engagement with a specific project that they are developing;
- Artists’ working methodology must be compatible with a progressive and inclusive approach to work;
- The proposal must have a clear intended outcome, whether practical, intellectual, or philosophical;
- Artists must have previously completed art works, and be involved in an artistic scene;
- The proposal must be achievable within twelve months of the grant submission deadline;
- The grants do not cover production and post-production for feature films, degree-based study programs (such as MAs or PhDs), and literary projects which are eligible for the Writing Sabbaticals program;
- Aiming for balanced professional relationships, Mophradat does not support applications to cover the costs and fees of artists invited to run a workshop, administer, or curate projects in Europe or North America that fall under categories of (temporary) employment in those contexts, and should be covered by those hosts’ institutional budgets.
- Applications are evaluated and selected by the group of peers once the application is confirmed to be fulfilling the program’s general and specific eligibility criteria. The peers’ names are published after program recipients are announced.
- All applicants, whether selected or not, receive a response to their applications one month after the application deadline. If selected, a grant agreement will be signed between the recipient and Mophradat.
- Selected artists participate in three follow-up conversations organized by Mophradat during the course of the grant.
- Funds will be released in a two-stage process: 90 percent when the grant agreement is signed and the remaining 10 percent on project completion.
- A narrative and financial summary describing how their proposal developed over the grant period must be submitted by the end date of the grant agreement.
*Please note that due to the high volume of applications and the confidentiality of the selection process, Mophradat does not provide individual feedback explaining the reason an application was not selected.
**By applying for this program, you agree that if you are selected you will endeavour to realize your proposal. If the proposal is not realized to an appropriate level of completion within the timeline agreed upon, you may be asked to partially or fully reimburse Mophradat.
For any questions, please email email@example.com